Monday, October 11, 2010

All NZ, all the time

I've mentioned my friend Sally here a few times. A dear friend who used to be my neighbour, we have boys the same age who went to the same school. She left last July to move back home to New Zealand, literally the other side of the world. So far we're managing to hold onto our friendship through technology and the good old fashioned post (thanks to her lone efforts). She recently sent me this astonishing koru for my birthday. It is made out of rose quartz and together with the Maori meaning of the koru is my current talisman for new life, growth, strength and peace. I am so very grateful for the people who bring these things into my life.


We also had this little e-discussion over the word, "bugger" which, apparently, is quite a popular expression in NZ. I grew up with not being able to utter the word (of course the adults in my childhood imagined a slightly different spelling of the word) for fear of dire punishment, whereas it is commonly said where Sally lives. She sent me this video that had me howling and convinced me that I had to experience this place for myself.



4 comments:

oreneta said...

Love the necklace and the ad's hilarious!

Kim Mailhot said...

Ha ha ha !!! Love the ad. Glad that you and Sally have found ways to stay close and share stuff in spite of the thousands of miles. And thank God for technology for this !
It is wonderful to know you have that healing koru around your neck with the love of a friend and the strength of the rose quartz. Just beautiful !

Sending big friend love for down here up there too.
(Ps - Dave is looking into your question - he will reply when he has a chance !)

Gumnut said...

That ad is an old fav. Great piece of advertising that prompted a whole pile of bumper stickers :D

Yes, we have a lot to thank technology for. Living in Australia, I'm extremely aware of just how far away some of my friends live. Come to think of it, one of my college friends now lives in the same state as you and we still manage to keep in contact. Gotta love the internet.

Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog recently. You made my day. ::hugs::

Nutty
(up at 4am...since 3am)

GingerB said...

Lovely gift, hysterical video. thanks! Now I'll be saying bugger all night, and so will my little girls.