Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pet Peeve

One of my pet peeves is writing in books. Not when it's my own books, lord knows I notate, comment and doodle in enough of my own. The peeve is when I find it in library books. I picked up "The Making of June," by Annie Ward at the library. I found it while browsing, hadn't heard of it before but it appealed to me and I am really enjoying it. But on page 91 I found this.

And I realized how much it bugs me when other people decide to edit books that aren't their own property. Oh, so smart, they find typos that the original editor missed and correct it IN PEN write right in the book. I don't know why it gets under my skin so much, it just does.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Pisses me right off, too. Seeing those marks & notations takes me right out of the story. I find them to be far more distracting than just noting a typo on my own.

Excellent rant. ;)

Cheryl said...

No respect for the property of others. Sometimes I wonder if it is an ego thing as well. Irks me considerably.

Sherry said...

Uh huh, pisses me off too!!!! I don't really "like" it when I find typos or grammatical errors in books that publishers/editors are meant to catch but hey, I read over them. When some yo-yo takes a pen (or a pencil) to a book that we are all sharing, I get very indignant.

oreneta said...

100% in agreement with you. 100%.

Snap said...

I don't like it either ... not their book ... a book is precious -- to be taken care of. Someone should write on the person writing in the book ... for all the world to see.