Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More books and Mercury

This week's book is The Inheritance of Loss. I found it very dark, I almost want to say depressing. Again, another book with a lot of history. I am glad I read it but just as glad to be finished. I have a hard time with books that are consistently dark throughout. I wasn't all that happy with the characters, I found that they wandered a bit and I couldn't really identify with any of them. The closest I got was feeling for the dog, Mutt, which isn't that surprising knowing me. It did win the Man Booker prize in 2006 and the prose is a step up from main stream fiction. I scored the motherlode from the library this week - another Booker prize winner, Enright's "The Gathering". Plus a Picoult which I haven't yet read, Jennifer Weiner's "Certain Girls" and Hay's "Late Nights on Air". I am ready for something quick and dirty.


&

For the first time in two weeks, my Pegasus Mercury Starlight Elixir failed me. I ran for the
commuter train only to find it had been cancelled. I ran back down two long blocks for the express bus to have it arrive fifteen minutes late, then we sat in traffic for an hour. When I finally did get to work (and now in desperate need of a shower), the printer jammed a record number of times and mail was returned for insufficient postage. WTF? It's that old friend Mercury stirring up a little trouble. The Elixir had pretty much protected me up until now, and after a stellar performance last February when I had done something silly like plan a trip which included both air travel and an excessive amount of driving during a retrograde period, I thought I was invincible. But alas, I am but a mere mortal. Add to that the fact that after yesterday's "great burn-off" at the dermatologist, I look like I fell off my bike, and I'm having an incredibly bad hair day. Uncle!

No comments: