Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fashionista

My clothes should come with an expiry date. I rarely know when to let them go. I have clothes older than...certainly older than the little person in my house. I think the oldest thing I have is a pair of Patagonia sweat pants that were navy blue when I bought them. I can't bear to throw them away even though they are faded and stretched out of shape and have few moth holes. I can date them back twenty five years, minimum. It's my other, everyday clothes I wish had "best before" labels on them. I would probably still wear them for a while after that date as I still eat the yogurt and eggs that are only "slightly" expired but at least I would have an idea of just how long those clothes have been hanging around. I usually shop for comfort, easy care and durability over aesthetics. I try to not look like a shlub but I probably do most of the time. I did a clothing purge not too long ago but I think I need to go back in again and toss all the long and short sleeve t-shirts that have shrunk in length and the ones that have lost all sense of shape. I am afraid I'll have nothing left to wear though. I will spare the photos this time. What is the oldest piece of clothing in your closet/drawers?

And while we're talking fashion, I can't decide if my new slippers are old lady ones or if they're cool.


6 comments:

Lis said...

OMG - yes! My clothes definitely need an expiration date ... i have worn several pairs of short and pants until a hole was rubbed into the butt! I confess, I have a jacket/shell i still wear that goes back, er ... um ... 31 years? Yikes, and an icelandic wool sweater purchased with money from my first paycheck in high school 33 years ago (it still fits and i think it still looks great! thank you L.L. Bean for quality!)

my vote on the slippers: cool!

oh, and i love Gustave :) squeak squeak!

Trish said...

those sllippers are supercool! So cool in fact, that I'd gladly wear them under my desk at work. Sorry I've been out of touch, I've been incredibly overwhelmed by life; usually sends me into hibernation, as it has done this past month.

oreneta said...

Cool. Extremely. No question.

Cheryl said...

I vote cool on the slippers! as well as some of your outdated clothes! Whatever works!

Elena said...

Love your post and the slippers. I can't remember now whose blog I found you through but had to come see yours because that huge smile of yours! Great site, by the way.

Kim Mailhot said...

slipper=cool

I like clothes that feels good, fit and that are pleasing to the eye. No whether I can find those in my price range, size or age-appropriate-ness, is another question...

You are beautiful, My Friend, no matter what you wear.