Thursday, August 6, 2009

Memories

I've been taking Susannah Conway's Unravelling class. We are now on week four, which is about memories. The three photos in my new banner are photos I took for weeks 1 and 2 of the class. It has made me look at photography and my art, the way I create and assemble so differently. It's also bringing up things I have buried. This week's theme had us looking at old photos - as old or "new" old as we like. It took me a couple of hours late one night to even find my box of oldies but I knew I had to. This is a mosaic I made of our little family. In Montreal we have a mountain smack dab in the middle of our city. When I was a child we used to go every weekend, rain, shine, snow. Looking back on these early photos of my sister, my parents and myself, I realized that my parents did look at us with affection. My memories are different than what these show, it's a little confusing because of the way things still are today, which is very distant, very cold-fish emotionally. I wonder where and when the distance happened and why we were never able to get back here. This is tough work.


And just so I don't get too serious, here's another one I made for this week, my jeany-ology (parents, grandparents).

5 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

Mixed memories...part of us forever.I am learning that the healing takes place little pieces at a time...
It was so cool for me to see the Mountain and the park in your old photos there. My dad used to take us there often too. Most of our photos are still on slides that my dad had taken way back then.
Good work, Kim, though hard I know. Unravelling takes courage, which you obviously have. Be gentle with yourself...

Sherry said...

I'm glad you are doing the Unravelling course as you are learning not just about art and photography but about yourself and unravelling the pieces of "who" you are. These are wonderful photographs...linking to the past can give us peace with it so that we can be more in the present and enjoy the future.

Delwyn said...

Hello there Kim

I have hopped over from Sherry's place...and find your posts intriguing...

I have a new camera coming so I am interested in all creative ideas...and also love journalling too...

Happy days

Delwyn said...

Woops - don't know why I called you Kim...I couldn't find your name...

Happy days

Snap said...

The Unravelling course sounds wonderful. You go girl! I'm enjoying the photos -- old and new. I may have to go looking for the old photos I have around here somewhere. New camera arrived. I love my old canon and Mr. Dragon ordered the update -- greater zoom ... I'll be dangerous! ;D ;D Enjoyed the Haikus, too!

Have a wonderful weekend.