Thursday, January 15, 2009

More

I don't know how much more I can say about the cold, but I'll try. I'm sure there is a haiku or two in it for tomorrow as well. There were a few funny incidents today, altogether. Driving my son to school, the car doors wouldn't close fully. I think the metal on the car has retracted in certain areas, and no matter what I did, the two doors I opened just wouldn't completely shut. Luckily we don't have to drive far, but we did have to listen to the ding-ding-ding-ding of my car telling me that a door was open. Ditto for my scraper - either the plastic has retracted or the glass on my windshield has changed shape because no matter which way I turned the crazy thing, it wouldn't scrape any frost or ice. We had to sit and wait for the engine to warm enough to melt the frost on the windows enough to see. And every one's cheeks were bright red, no matter if they'd driven their kids to school or walked. There was even one mother who had wrapped a scarf around her mouth and nose and her eyelashes were covered in frost! I don't think I have ever see THAT. Also, the locks on the inside of my house are all iced over. You know it's cold when you look forward to Monday which has a forecast high of -18 and you say to everyone you meet, "oh, that's not bad".

So I got about three hours in my studio today where I proceeded to do a series of truly dreadful sketches (again). I feel a little funny posting them, but what the heck. I started with the last Christmas clementine (it was truly beyond eating), then after the sketch I had to take a picture with the orange in case in the future when I look back in the book and I can't figure out what the heck that shape is.


Then my eraser, which was getting a pretty good work-out today and a piece of popcorn. They are all pretty mundane, except for the owl owl owl sketch which I did for my next canvas or work on paper. It's a vision I've had that I'm finally getting to since I put the fish to bed, quite excited about it too. And I worked on my tag questions from Q52. I'm really liking those because I can do a bit, put it aside and do something else, come back and tweak it, add a thought.





And lastly, my shot of Riley. I caught him from behind with a piece of packing styrofoam balanced on his head, mesmerized by the TV - he stood there long enough for me to get a number of shots with him none the wiser.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Well I think your sketches are great and I can't wait to see what you have planned for those gorgeous owls. Love the candid shot of your son - see how painless that was!