Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Big Slog




It has been snowing here for three days now. Not hard, but constant. As in without stopping. That's ALOT of snow. I know because I've been shoveling it in a way that seems like that is non-stop too. And, I swear, I just looked out the window and saw someone cross country skiing down the street.

I feel as if I should have heeded the heavenly warnings and started building a wind-powered skidoo-ark. Instead I waved the white flag, but in all this snow, you can't see it. So I waved this one instead.


And this guy doesn't seem to think it's winter because he came crawling out of the baseboard this morning. At first I thought it was a spider because they are plentiful here, even in the winter but it's a run of the mill beetle. WHAT?! A beetle in January?!

Sledding was in order this afternoon and some dining in and of the snow. Until the frostbite was evident in our faces at which point I really wished I had built that skidoo-ark to get us home.



I've been trying to not think of it, but the big slog is now ahead of me. January and February, the worst of the winter weather. Slog, slog, slog. I'm trying to live in the moment though, so I'll just say "slog".

7 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

David does a running count of how many times a day I say "I hate winter." Today, we got to 5 before I shut up and started keeping my hateful thoughts to myself. We spent the morning shoveling and snow blowing out and it just feels like a big waste of my time !
Okay, rant done. Know you understand. ;) At least we do have pretty cute playmates to play in the snow with !
Not liking the slog but I am liking the pace that is to come now after the big bustle. I think I am going to look for a used treadmill for Chica and I....
Hang in there and keep that playmate close by !

Brenda said...

The snow does make for some beautiful photos though - look on the positive side. I'm sweltering over here - this is what it was like this time last year - you complaining of the cold and me of the heat, hehe.

oreneta said...

What do you have the temperature turned up to in your house? Everything is coming out of hibernation over there.

Lynda said...

We still have a lot of snow here too.. and where I live in Germany is not a big snow area. But it is still super cold so it is all hard and a little scary to drive. Scary for an Aussie girl fresh out of Egypt that is...not for Canadian pros.

The Dutch Girl said...

The highlight of the Slog is coming, though: January 18th has been calculated to be the most depressing day of 2010. So that's almost out of the way.

Thank you so much for stopping Northwoods Adventures last month. Obviously i could not get it together sooner to come pay a visit. Glad I finally did.

Happy Winter!
Hanneke

WrightStuff said...

Wow, that sure is a lot of snow. We've got it over here over the whole country. Just a few inches where I live but it seems we got off lightly as the rest of the country has ground to a standstill! We're not really equipped to deal with it here - no snow tyres. Keep warm!

Sherry said...

I still cannot get over how much snow you've had compared to Toronto. We've had a few dustings and it's been nothing to even "shovel" -- just push it along and move it out of the way.

We still have the rest of this month, February and March so we're not out of the woods yet...but I declare, I don't know why we've been spared!!!

Loved the snow shots and the flag you planted....may the rest of the winter be easier for you!!