Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Smells of Winter

This is something that has been kind of bothering me for a few weeks now. It's the smells of winter. Not the fragrant pine of Christmas trees or the clear, crisp air when it's minus thirty-five degrees. But the smells of outerwear that has been wet too many times, everyday, without being allowed to dry completely before getting wet again. It's a slightly sour, musty smell that won't go away until everything is laundered and hung to dry on the line in the sun. Which means the smells of winter will be with me until - oh - May. Or if I'm lucky, April. The last time I washed my winter coat it took two days to fully dry and that was hanging it in the direct sun in August. Children's coats and snow pants can not be put in the dryer so unless we get a long and very mild spell, I'm out of luck there too. Some mitts are only washable with a damp cloth (WHAT?!) which means they are - gack! - disposable. Don't even get me started on the dogs.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Add stinky hockey bags to that and you've got a "cess pool" of aroma!!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Ach! I just read this and already I smell the smell. Give me the scent of linen...when it's about to snow. Anything but wet wool!

Kim Mailhot said...

I recommend going to the florist and buying some beautiful tulips. They have just hit the stores here now and what a joy their color and sweet spring green smell is. Tape one under your nose and you should be good to go ! ;)
Hope your week starts out well !

oreneta said...

What do you mean the kids jackets and snow pants can't go in the dryer? Where did you buy those? I ALWAYS put them in the dryer, sometimes twice daily........Get the to Mountain Equipment and get new equipment that you can dry.....two days to dry your coat?

Still, better than the smell of six months accumulation of defrosting dog crap. Only offset by our joy at seeing the stuff....and the flowers and grass that come along with it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.